NAGALAND Class 11-science Physics Thermal Properties of Matter
Thermal Expansion1. Heat flows from body at higher temperature to body at lower temperature
2. Thermometer use a measurable property that changes with temperature.
3. In constant volume gas thermometer,
L = L0andalpha;andDelta;T, where andalpha; is the coefficient of linear expansion.
1. The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1kg of a substance by one degree.
2. SI unit is joules per kilogram per kelvin or J kg-1 K-1 and the symbol is c.
3. Calorimeter is a device used for heat measurement.
4. In an isolated system, heat lost = heat gained.
Change of PhaseMatter exists in three states: solid, liquid and gas.
Latent heat of fusion is the heat required to change unit mass of a substance from solid to liquid at the same temperature and pressure.
Transfer of Heat by Radiation1. Heat transfer can take place by conduction, convection or radiation. 2. Radiation is energy transfer through electromagnetic radiation. 3.Newtonandrsquo;s law of cooling states that the rate of loss of heat is proportional to the excess temperature over the surroundings. -dQ/dt = k(T2 andndash; T1)