Explain any 5 features of the 'Go East Movement'.
Five features of the 'Go East Movement' were:
1. The Go East Movement gained a foothold in Vietnam in the first decade of the 20th century. In 1907-08, about 300 Vietnamese students went to Japan to attain modern education.
2. The principal objective of the Go East Movement was to eliminate the French from Vietnam, overthrow the puppet Emperor and re-establish the Nguyen dynasty which had been deposed by France.
3. Japan had undergone a massive modernisation and industrialisation process and had resisted colonisation by the West. It had even defeated Russia in 1907 and displayed its military prowess.
4. Hence, Vietnamese nationalists sought arms and tactical help from the Japanese as fellow Asians.
5. The Vietnamese students had established a branch of the Restoration Society in Tokyo. However, the Japanese Ministry of Interior clamped down on them, in 1908. Many activists, including Phan Boi Chau, were deported and had to seek exile in countries such as China and Thailand.
You have rated this answer /10