Examine five main factors which have favoured the concentration of the cotton textile industry in Mumbai.
The cotton textile industry is concentrated in Mumbai due to the following factors:
- Availability of raw cotton: Cotton is grown mainly in the black soil of Peninsular India. Mumbai is located closer to this region and hence raw cotton is abundantly available for its industries.
- Favourable climate: Mumbai has a humid climate. Such a climate favours the spinning of cotton yarn without any breakage.
- Availability of hydel power: Hydroelectric power is fast replacing coal as the source of power generation. Hydroelectricity is produced in the Western Ghats. The setting up of the Tata Hydroelectric Company with five power stations across Maharashtra has immensely benefited the textile industry of Mumbai.
- Cheap and abundant labour supply: Many people come to Mumbai from various states in search of work. Skilled and unskilled labour has been employed from places like Konkan, Satara, Ratnagiri and states like Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh.
- Transport Facilities: Mumbai is a port. Besides, it is also well connected to other parts of the country through railways and waterways. This has helped in the transportation of manufactured goods to other states and countries.
You have rated this answer /10
- Biology Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Chemistry Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- English Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Hindi Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Mathematics Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Physics Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Science Question Answers for ICSE Class 8
- Social Studies Question Answers for ICSE Class 8