T.R. Jain and V.K. Ohri- Statistics for Economics Solution for Class 11 Commerce Statistics for Economics Chapter 3 - Census and Sample Methods of Collection of Data
T.R. Jain and V.K. Ohri- Statistics for Economics Solution for Class 11 Commerce Statistics for Economics Chapter 3 - Census and Sample Methods of Collection of Data Page/Excercise 49
Lottery method of random sampling should be adopted to select 3 students out of 10 students. This is because all are equally brilliant, and thus, all of them should get an equal chance of being selected in the sample. Thus,
- Write the name of each student on paper slips.
- Put the slips in a box and shuffle them.
- Select 3 slips one by one.
- Students with their names written on the slips will be selected for the inter-zonal tournament.
The random sampling technique can be used to form a team of 11 players if the cricket players are equally talented in playing cricket. However, if some players are better than other players in playing cricket, then non-random sampling techniques such as purposive sampling, quota sampling or convenience sampling can be adopted.
T.R. Jain and V.K. Ohri- Statistics for Economics Solution for Class 11 Commerce Statistics for Economics Chapter 3 - Census and Sample Methods of Collection of Data Page/Excercise 50
To conduct a survey on the popularity of noodles among students of different schools in my town, the sample of study would be designed as follows:
- Quota sampling method will be adopted.
- Population will be divided into different groups according to different characteristics of population. Characteristics of students will include age-group, school in which the student studies etc.
- A sample will be taken from each group.
Stratified or mixed sampling will be used to study the cropping pattern in the village. According to this method, the population will be divided into different strata comprising different characteristics. Thus, in the given case, two groups will be formed of small farmers and big farmers. A sample will be selected from each stratum. Hence, the required sample will be received by combining the samples from both strata.
Using the random sampling method (lottery method) to select 3 students out of 10 in the class:
- Make ten paper slips of equal size and write the name of each student on each slip.
- Put all the slips in a box and mix them.
- Draw three slips at random without replacement.
- Students whose names are written on the slips are selected.