ICSE Class 10 Comprehension and Composition Revision Notes for Article Writing
Introduction to Article Writing
What is an Article?
An article is a piece of writing that is included in newspapers, magazines or journals alongside other written works.
Functions of an article:
- Inform the reader about an idea, phenomenon and piece of news or information
- Present an opinion
- Present an objective analysis
- Used for descriptive purposes
Characteristics of an article:
- Can be formal or informal depending on who the readers are
- Is less formal than a report
- Is well researched and the facts are true
Format of an Article
How to Write an Article
- Before writing, ask four questions:
- What is the topic?
- What is the purpose of the article?
- What tone should be employed?
- What is the word limit?
- Brainstorm for ideas. Ask questions.
- Create an outline on the basis of the questions.
Think of a suitable title that reflects the main idea of the article.
Use transition words and phrases to connect the points of your article.
Structure your article by dividing your points into three parts—introduction, body and conclusion.