Wed January 18, 2012 By:

Why is concave lens called a diverging lens?

Expert Reply
Thu January 19, 2012
A concave lens is called a diverging lens as it diverges the light as it thicker at the edges and has a small depression in its centre and if it will be thicker in the middle than at the edges it will converge the light so as concave lens have a small depression in its centre so it refracts or diverges the light outwards.
Light passing through the angled prisms near the edges is bent significantly while light passing through the flat, central area is hardly bent at all. Light rays which are parallel to one another when approaching such an arrangement are spread out becoming diverging as shown here:
Sat September 23, 2017


Home Work Help