Tue March 10, 2015 By: Deebu Raghv

While naming a compund can you write Alcohol instead of "ol"?
For example: Lets say the compund is named pent-4-ene-7-ol.
Will the naming be wrong if I write it as pent-4-ene-7-Alcohol? 

Expert Reply
Prachi Sawant
Wed March 11, 2015
In IUPAC nomenclature, "ol" is used instead of "alcohol". In common naming, the word "alcohol" is used after the parent name.
For example:
Common name of above compound is heptene alcohol.
The name provided in the question is incorrect.
Home Work Help