Question
Sat September 21, 2013 By: Ashish Parashar

Q: 5 Give examples of polynomial p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and (i) deg p(x) = deg q(x) (ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x) (iii) deg r(x) = 0 Q: 5 Give examples of polynomial p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and (i) deg p(x) = deg q(x) (ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x) (iii) deg r(x) = 0 Q: 5 Give examples of polynomial p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and (i) deg p(x) = deg q(x) (ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x) (iii) deg r(x) = 0 Q: 5 Give examples of polynomial p(x), g(x), q(x) and r(x), which satisfy the division algorithm and (i) deg p(x) = deg q(x) (ii) deg q(x) = deg r(x) (iii) deg r(x) = 0

Expert Reply
Sun September 22, 2013
According to the division algorithm, if p(x) and g(x) are two polynomials with g(x)  0, then we can find polynomials q(x) and r(x) such that
p(x) = g(x) x q(x) + r(x), where r(x) = 0 or degree of r(x) < degree of g(x).

(i)    Degree of quotient will be equal to degree of dividend when divisor is constant.
Let us consider the division of  by 3.
Here, p(x) =   and g(x) = 3
q(x) =   and r(x) = 0
Here, degree of p(x) and q(x) is the same which is 2.

Checking:
p(x) = g(x) x q(x) + r(x)

Thus, the division algorithm is satisfied.

(ii)    Let us consider the division of 2x4 + 2x by 2x3,
Here, p(x) = 2x4 + 2x and g(x) = 2x3
q(x) = x and r(x) = 2x
Clearly, the degree of q(x) and r(x) is the same which is 1.

Checking,
2x4 + 2x =  (2x3 ) x x  + 2x
2x4 + 2x = 2x4 + 2x

(iii)    Degree of remainder will be 0 when remainder obtained on division is a constant.
Let us consider the division of 10x3 + 3 by 5x2.
Here, p(x) = 10x3 + 3 and g(x) = 5x2
q(x) = 2x and r(x) = 3
Clearly, the degree of r(x) is 0.

Checking:
10x3 + 3 = (5x2 ) x 2x  +  3
10x3 + 3 = 10x3 + 3

Note: We have provided one example, for each case. You can find more on similar lines.
Related Questions
Fri October 27, 2017

ðŸ™

Home Work Help