CAN U TELL ME Y DRINKINKING METHANOL IS POISONOUS WHEREAS ETHANOL IS NOT???????????
Methanol is an especially nasty type of alcohol because the body tries to break it down the same way it metabolizes, or breaks down, ethanol, the type of alcohol in beer, wine and other drinks.
Metabolizing ethanol produces chemicals less toxic to the body than methanol.If the same chemical action is performed on methanol the result is formic acid, lactic acid and formaldehyde.Formaldehyde attacks nerve cells, especially the optic nerve and can damage the liver and kidneys. Formic acid and lactic acid also attack the kidneys and liver. Most people who have drunk methanol die of severe and sudden kidney and liver failure.