Please wait...
1800-212-7858 (Toll Free)
9:00am - 8:00pm IST all days


Thanks, You will receive a call shortly.
Customer Support

You are very important to us

For any content/service related issues please contact on this toll free number


Mon to Sat - 11 AM to 8 PM

CBSE - IX - Biology

why do we die when we eat or drink poison?

Asked by aayushibansal1993 24th August 2008, 12:31 PM
Answered by Expert


Poisons are substances that can cause damage, illness, or death to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism. Different poisons harm the body in different ways.

A poison obstructs or inhibits a reaction, for example by binding to a catalyst. Contact or absorption of poisons can cause rapid death or impairment.  Agents that act on the nervous system can paralyze in seconds or less.

Inhaled or ingested cyanide almost instantly starves the body of energy by inhibiting the enzymes in mitochondria that make ATP. Intravenous injection of an unnaturally high concentration of potassium chloride, quickly stops the heart by eliminating the cell potential necessary for muscle contraction.

Answered by Expert 24th August 2008, 12:56 PM

Rate this answer

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

You have rated this answer /10

Report an issue
Your answer has been posted successfully!

Latest Questions

CBSE X Biology Control and Coordination

Asked by priyankasharma 19th March 2018, 11:14 AM

ICSE X Chemistry Metal - Non Metal

Asked by priyankasharma 19th March 2018, 11:12 AM

CBSE XII Science Mathematics Vector Algebra

Asked by akshitaasia 19th March 2018, 11:09 AM