What is the fate of the reproductive cycle in females if the ovum is not fertilised by a sperm?
- If a sperm is not available at the time of ovulation, then fertilisation does not occur.
- As the ovum is not fertilised, the thick lining of the uterus is no longer required.
- The unfertilised egg dies within a day and the lining of the uterus also breaks down.
- The egg, the thickened lining of the uterus along with blood vessels and other uterine tissues are shed off as blood and mucus.
- This results in bleeding from the vagina in women.
- This is called menstruation.
You have rated this answer /10