CBSE - XI Science - Biology - Locomotion and Movement
WHAT IS MEANT BY OSSIFICATION OF BONES ? EXPLAIN.
- The process of formation of bones is called ossification. It is the gradual transition from a fibrous or a cartilaginous template to a bone. The formation of bone is actually the conversion of other types of connective tissues into bone.
- Ossification occurs at certain sites known as centers of ossification.
- The process is initiated by the activity of osteoblasts. Osteoblasts are bone forming cells and secrete collagen and other substances that form the ground substance of bone.
- The centers of ossification may be primary or secondary.
- The primary centers of ossification appear before birth and are the first to start the process of ossification.
- The secondary centers of ossification mostly appear after birth. The secondary centers are sites where process of ossification starts after it has started in primary centers.
Rate this answer
You have rated this answer /10