WHAT IS ELEMENT ? GIVE EXAMPLE AND LIST THE PROPERTIESN OF AN ELEMENT.
- Elements are pure substances which are the basic unit of matter and cannot be broken down into two or more simpler substances by any means.
Occurrence of elements
- Elements are obtained both naturally and by artificial means.
- There are about 118 elements.
- Naturally occurring elements can be found in the Earth’s crust, atmosphere and also in living organisms.
- There exist elements having single atoms (K, Mg, Na, S, Ar), double atoms (O2, H2, N2) and more than two atoms (O3, P4)
Elements are classified as follows-
- Metallic elements
- Non-metallic elements
- Noble gases
An atom of any element is denoted by a ‘symbol’. A symbol is a short form or abbreviated name of the element.
You have rated this answer /10