What is a proper definition of coelom.Explain in brief?
Body cavity or coelom is a fluid-filled cavity present between the body wall and the digestive tract. It is lined with mesoderm. All the internal organs are suspended in the coelom.
Significance of coelom:
- Acts as a shock absorber and protects the internal organs from shocks.
- Acts as a hydraulic skeleton and helps soft-bodies and segmented animals in burrowing and locomotion.
- Provides space where body organs remain suspend and better compartmentalised.
- Provides medium for circulation, transporting food, gases and nitrogenous wastes.
- Allows temporary storage of wastes.
You have rated this answer /10