What are valence electrons? What is the number of valence electrons in Cl ion.?
- Valence electrons are the total number of electrons present in the valence shell or outermost shell.
- The atomic number of chlorine is 17.
- The electronic configuration is 2, 8, 7.
- Hence, there are 7 electrons in the valence shell of chlorine.
- Chlorine it accepts an electron to form a chloride ion as follows:
Cl + e- → Cl-
- On accepting an electron, chlorine forms chloride ion which has one electron more than chlorine atom.
- Thus, the electronic configuration of chloride ion becomes 2, 8, 8.
- Hence, there are 8 electrons in the valence shell of Cl- ion.
You have rated this answer /10