Wat are the factors affecting the rate of a reaction?
The factors that affect reaction rates are:
- Nature of the reactant- Properties of substances affect reaction rates. Some of the properties are state of matter, molecular size, bond type and bond strength.
- Concentration or pressure of the reactants- Greater the concentration of the reactants, faster is the reaction. Conversely, as the concentrations of the reactants decrease, the rate of reaction also decreases. Increasing the pressure of a gas is exactly the same as increasing its concentration.
- Temperature- The rate of reaction increases with increase of temperature.
- Presence/absence of a catalyst- A catalyst increases the speed of a reaction and helps to attain the equilibrium quickly without disturbing the state of equilibrium.
- Surface area of the reactants- For a reaction involving a solid reactant, increasing the surface area of the solid-phase reactant increases the number of collisions per second and therefore increases the reaction rate.
You have rated this answer /10
- Biology Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Chemistry Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Economics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Hindi Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Mathematics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Physics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science