Suresh read a press report that Induan population is estimated to be around 1.343 billion by the year 2020. To meet the increased demand efforts are required to increase food production but overexploitation of resources would degrade the environment. So we need to manage resources to satisfy our needs while maintaining the environment and conserving natural resources. Suresh decided to make his friends aware of these facts by holding group discussions with them.
i) What is meant by sustainable agriculture?
ii) "Organic Farming is a practice of raising unpoluted crops and maintaining soil fertility". Justify the statement.
iii) Mention 2 values which are worth admiration in Suresh.
i) Sustainable agriculture is the production of food, fibre, or other plant or animal products using farming techniques that protect the environment, public health, human communities, and animal welfare.
ii) Organic farming is a method of crop and livestock production that makes use of organic waste and other biological materials and beneficial microbes and minimises the use of pesticides, fertilisers, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics and growth hormones.
The general principles of organic production farming are:
- Protect the environment, minimize soil degradation and erosion, decrease pollution, optimize biological productivity and promote a sound state of health.
- Maintain long-term soil fertility by optimizing conditions for biological activity within the soil.
- Maintain biological diversity within the system
- Recycle materials and resources to the greatest extent possible within the enterprise
- Rely on renewable resources in locally organized agricultural systems
That is why, it is said that organic farming is a practice of raising unpolluted crops and maintaining soil fertility.
iii) The following values are worth admiring in Suresh:
- Environmentally conscious
- Love and care for the nature
- Proactive and alert
You have rated this answer /10