State the uses of algae
Uses of algae:
- Algae help to increase the level of dissolved oxygen in their immediate environment.
- Species of algae such as Porphyra, Laminaria and Sargassum are used as food.
- Hydrocolloids produced by algin and carrageen are used commercially.
- Commercial product agar is obtained from certain species of algae.
- Examples: Gelidium and Gracilaria
- Agar is used in the preparation of ice creams and jellies. It is also used to grow microbes in laboratories.
- Species such as Chlorella and Spirulina are rich in proteins and thus used as food supplements.
You have rated this answer /10