Mendel choose garden pea for his experiment because of the following reasons:
1. It is an annual plant with a short lifecycle.
2. It has perfect bisexual flowers containing both male and female parts.
3. The flowers are self-pollinating and so, it is easy to get pure line for several generations.
4. It is easy to cross-pollinate the plant because pollen from one plant can be introduced to the stigma of another plant by removing of anthers.
5. Pea plant produces a large number of seeds in one generation.
6. The plants can be easily raised, maintained and handled.
7. Many easily detectable contrasting characters were available.