plz explain the chemiosmotic hypothesis elaborately...actually i'm unable to learn it..
- Chemiosmotic hypothesis explains the mechanism of ATP synthesis in the thylakoids of chloroplast.
- In photosynthesis, the synthesis of ATP is linked to the development of a proton gradient across the cell membrane.
- The protons that are produced by the splitting of water are accumulated inside the membrane of thylakoids.
- As the electron moves through the photosystems, protons are transported across the membrane.
- NADP reductase enzyme located on the stroma side of the membrane, along with the electrons from the acceptor, removes H+ from the stroma during reduction of NADPH and H+.
- This creates proton gradients across the thylakoid membrane as well as a measurable decrease in pH of the lumen.
- The enzyme ATPase has a channel that allows diffusion of protons back to the stroma across the membrane.
- This releases energy to activate ATPase enzyme that catalyses the formation of ATP and provides energy for the process.
You have rated this answer /10