Mention the chief characteristics of the stratosphere.
The chief characteristics of the stratosphere are:
- This layer lies above the tropopause and extends up to 50 km above the surface of the Earth.
- This layer is free from any weather related phenomena.
- The temperature remains constant in the lower levels of the stratosphere but increases with height.
- The ozone layer present in the stratosphere absorbs the harmful ultraviolet rays of the Sun.
- The temperature again begins to decrease at about 50 km and marks the end of stratosphere and the beginning of the stratopause.
You have rated this answer /10