how is petrol and coal formed?
how can these resourses be used carefully?
Petrol and coal are the fossil fuels. They are formed millions of years ago.
Formation of coal:
- Coal is formed from dead plants.
- Dead plants get buried deep in the Earth.
- The dead material gets converted into peat.
- Peat gets buried deeper.
- Under high pressure, the peat loses its moisture content and reduces in volume and gets converted into
- lignite which is a soft brown coal.
- As the lignite gets buried deeper in the Earth, due to high temperature and pressure, it becomes harder and convert into bituminous coal.
- Bituminous coals when further exposed to high temperature and pressure convert into anthracite coal, which is the highest rank coal with high carbon content.
Formation of petrol:
- The planktons, aquatic plants and animals when die get settled in the bottom of the sea.
- Soon they get covered by the mud.
- As more and more layers of mud settle, the lowermost layers of mud along with the dead material convert into a rock under high pressure and temperature.
- The dead, decaying material which gets trapped in the rock, loses its water content and changes into crude oil which is high in carbon.
- Since oil is denser than water, due to high pressure from below, it rises through the permeable rock.
You have rated this answer /10