CBSE - X - Biology - How Do Organisms Reproduce?
HOW DOES EGG GETS FERTILIZED IN FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM?
- Fertilisation is the process of the male gamete (sperm) and the female gamete (ovum) to form a zygote.
- During copulation, the sperms are released into the vagina of female near the cervix of the uterus.
- These sperms actively pass through the passage of the cervix into the uterine cavity.
- Of the millions of sperms released into the vagina, very few are able to reach the upper parts of the oviducts. The rest die on the way and are absorbed.
- A single sperm moves towards the egg cell.
- Mitochondria of the sperm provide energy for its movement towards the egg cell.
- Acrosome of the sperm releases an enzyme which digests the membrane of the egg cell.
- The head of the sperm enters the egg cell.
- The nuclei of the sperm and the egg cells fuse to form the zygote.
Rate this answer
You have rated this answer /10