How do we know how old a fossil is ?
- The process of finding out the age of a fossil is known as dating of fossils.
- Half-life periods are calculated on the basis of the ratio of the radioactive material and its products of decay.
- When living organisms change into fossils, their rate of radioactive C14 decay decrease slowly. In this way, the age of fossils can be determined with the help of radioactive C14.
- Because the age of a fossil can be clearly established by the radioactive carbon dating technique, the exact period of formation of a species can also be ascertained.
- Dating of fossils has provided an accurate determination of the age.
- The most commonly used radioactive materials are uranium and carbon-14. Even potassium-argon is being used.
You have rated this answer /10