file: brief explanations about type of solid structure details of nacl,cscl,zns,cafe, antifluoride with diagram
what should written on this please tell me soon i have to make a file on this
- The ionic radius of the sodium ion is 1.16 Å and the chloride ion is 1.67 Å. The ratio of radii for the cation to anion is r+/r- = 1.16/1.67 = 0.695.
- With a radius ratio of 0.695, the cubic holes are too large (rhole/r = 0.732) to be suitable. The sodium ions occupy octahedral holes in a closest-packed structure. As it happens, the chloride ions in NaCl pack in a cubic closest-packed structure.
- The images below depict the structure of NaCl. The grey spheres represent the chloride ions and the black spheres represent the sodium ions.
- The sodium ions are smaller than the chloride ions, and hence are inserted into octahedral holes and push the chloride ions apart so that no two chloride ions are in contact with each other.
- The resulting structure has (6,6)-coordination. All the tetrahedral holes are unoccupied.
- The dimensions of the NaCl unit cell are a = b = c = 5.406 Å.
You have rated this answer /10
- Biology Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Chemistry Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Economics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Hindi Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Mathematics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science
- Physics Question Answers for CBSE Class 12 Science