Explain global warming in detail.
- Certain gases, especially CO2, methane, nitric oxide and nitrous oxide, in the atmosphere act as greenhouse gases.
- Their increased accumulation in the atmosphere prevents the escape of heat which warms the air.
- Due to industrialisation and rising population, more CO2 is released.
- At the same time, due to deforestation, there is decrease in utilisation of CO2 by green plants.
- Overall rise in CO2 has lead to greater retention of solar radiation in the atmosphere, causing global warming.
- During the last three decades, the temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere has increased by 0.5°C.
- Global warming leads to melting of snow caps, rise in sea level, decline in agricultural production and extinction of species such as the polar bear.
You have rated this answer /10