Enumerate the main features of the new judicial system introduced by Warren Hastings in India.
Main features of the new judicial system introduced by Warren Hastings in India:
- In 1772, a new system of justice was established. Each district in India was to have two courts—a civil court known as diwani adalat and a criminal court known as faujdari adalat.
- Maulvis and pundits were appointed to interpret Indian laws for the European district collectors.
- The criminal courts were under a qazi and a mufti but were placed under the supervision of collectors.
- The Supreme Court of India was established under the Regulating Act of 1773.
- To bring uniformity in laws, Hindu and Muslim laws were codified.
You have rated this answer /10