CBSE - XII Science - Biology - Molecular Basis of Inheritance
DNA is the genetic material in most organisms while only a few organisms have RNA as genetic material.Why
DNA is the genetic material in most organisms while only a few organisms have RNA as their genetic material because:
- RNA is highly reactive, labile and easily degradable. On the other hand, DNA is chemically less reactive and structurally more stable.
- RNA functions as an enzyme and is, therefore reactive and unstable while DNA does not get destroyed by heat.
- Uracil present in RNA is less stable as compared to thymine of DNA.
- RNA mutates at a much faster rate while DNA mutates at a much slower rate allowing the variations and characteristics to be inherited for generations.
- There is no repairing system in RNA. DNA has a repairing system in case of errors during replication of DNA.
Rate this answer
You have rated this answer /10