ICSE - VI - Chemistry - Matter
Describe an experiment to show that a gas expands on being heated and contracts on cooling.
- Take an empty flask and clamp the flask in an upside-down position over a beaker of water in such a way that the glass tube dips inside the beaker.
- Now heat the flask at the top.
- The air in the flask expands and moves out of the flask through the tube into the beaker containing water.
- Observe the bubbles of air inthe water.
- Now allow the beaker to cool.
- As the air inside the flask contracts, the water rises up the tube.
- This proves that gas like air expands on heating and contracts on cooling.
Rate this answer
You have rated this answer /10