CBSE - IX - Biology - Diversity in Living Organisms
characteristics of coelenterata
- Aquatic, mostly marine; either solitary or colonial
- Multicellular, dipoblastic animals (outer layer -ectoderm and inner layer – endoderm).
- Contains body cavity known as the coelenteron which has mouth surrounded by tentacles, but lacks anus.
- Radial symmetry
- Possess specialised cells called cnidoblasts bearing nematocysts which are the stinging cell organelles.
- Primitive nervous system; no respiratory or circulatory organs.
- Body shows 2 main forms - the tubular sessile polyp forms and swimming medusa
- Shows asexual reproduction by budding and also sexual reproduction.
Rate this answer
You have rated this answer /10