Africa remained unexplored for a long period of time. Give four reasons to shed light on the above statement.
Africa remained unexplored for a long period of time because of the following reasons:
- The largest desert in the world, the Sahara Desert, acted as a natural barrier for the European explorers.
- Africa had only few good natural harbours making it difficult for the Europeans to sail into the country.
- Most of Africa is made up of plateaus which rise steeply from the coasts. This made it difficult for the foreigners to reach the interior parts of the continent.
- African rivers form high waterfalls as they approach the sea. As a result, they could not be used for travelling into the continent.
- Further, the hot and humid climate and the dense forests made the climate of Africa inhospitable.
You have rated this answer /10