Top 16 Highlights of the Rail Budget 2015
Here are the important highlights of the Rail Budget.
1. No hike in the Passenger fares.
2. An all Indian 24/7 helpline number to become operational soon.
3. In the next five years, about 8.5 lakh crore rupees will be invested in Railways.
4. 17000 more toilets will be replaced by bio-toilet. The work to start this year.
5. The cleanliness will be a priority. The aim is to have ‘Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat’.
6. Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Kolkata travel to be an overnight journey. However, no new train has been announced.
7. Paperless ticketing and hand held devices for TTEs to be introduced.
8. Coastal Connectivity Program worth Rs 2000 crore to be introduced.
Image source: img.manoramaonline.com
9. A mobile application will be developed to address the complaints of people.
10. Operation 5 minutes to be introduced. It implies that a person travelling ticketless can purchase the ticket in 5 minutes.
11. Wi-fi facility to be provided in about 400 stations.
12. CCTV cameras to be installed in ladies compartment and in some mainline.
13. Passengers can now book their tickets four months in advance. Earlier the period was only two months.
14. E-catering has been introduced in 108 trains to give passengers the choice to select their meals. The service has been introduced on a trial basis for now.
15. Mobile Phone Charging facilities would be provided in general class coaches and will also be increased in sleeper class coaches.
16. More berths will be made available to the passengers through the increase in the number of coaches. A project of on-board entertainment in some Shatabdi trains has been proposed.