Preamble: Part of the Indian Constitution
The Indian Constitution begins with a Preamble.
The Indian Constitution begins with a Preamble. The term ‘Preamble’ means an introduction to orders. It is considered an introductory part of the Constitution. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru suggested the inclusion of the Preamble in the Constitution. The page of the Preamble and the other pages of the Constitution were designed by Beohar Rammanohar Sinha of Jabalpur. The Supreme Court of India had initially declared that the Preamble is not an integral part of the Constitution. However, later in 1995, the Supreme Court declared that the Preamble is an integral part of the Constitution.
Importance of the Preamble
The Preamble focuses on the following objectives of the Constitution:
- Equality: All Indians are equal
- Justice: Fair judgement in politics, society and the economy
- Fraternity: Dignity of the individual and integrity of the nation
- Liberty: Freedom of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship
The Preamble of the Constitution is created by the people, for the people as a whole and no one has the power to end it. The Preamble also declares that India is a Republic and has democratic representation. All the features of the Indian Constitution are directly or indirectly related to the Preamble.
The Preamble being the first component of the Indian Constitution was not the first to come into existence. It was drafted after the Constituent Assembly read the Constitution and decided to add an introduction. It does not have power on its own but serves to outline the objectives of the Constitution.
The Preamble is widely accepted as the soul and spirit of the Indian Constitution and is accepted as the vision and commitment by the people of India.
MORE from Education
- Education Franchisee opportunity
- NCERT Solution
- CBSE Class 9 Mathematics
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Science
- Sample Papers
- CBSE Class 9 Science
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Maths
- Revision Notes
- CBSE Class 10 Hindi
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 Social Studies
- CBSE Class 10 Science
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics
- Career In Science After 10
- Career In Commerce After 10
- Career In Humanities/Arts After 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 11
- Business Studies Class 12 CBSE project