JEE Main 2021 Maths: Points to keep in mind
In this article, we focus on the important points and tips which can be used by aspirants while preparing and attempting the Maths section of JEE Main 2021.
Maths is an important subject in the JEE Main paper, with the Maths section comprising one-third of the weightage of marks. So, if you are thorough with your Maths concepts, it becomes really easy to score high marks in this section. We suggest you quickly go through these points when preparing for Maths in JEE Main.
- Chapter-wise weightage
- Important topics
- Problem-solving approach
- Paper pattern of JEE Main 2021
- Time management
- Books to be referred
Let’s start with the chapter-wise weightage, where the contribution of each chapter depends on the average number of questions asked in the exam.
In a nutshell:
- 80% of the questions which have been asked in the exam are based on the 9 main chapters shown in the pie chart.
- The remaining 6 chapters contribute about 20% of the questions.
The important topics for JEE Main (Maths section) are as listed below.
- Coordinate Geometry: Distance and section formulae, locus and its equation, coordinates of triangle, slopes
Straight lines: Various forms, intersection of lines, angle between lines and family of lines
Parameters, equations of tangent and normal, and chord of contact for parabola, ellipse and hyperbola
Circles: Standard equation, family of circles, common tangent, normal and common chord
- Limits: Standard and trigonometric limits, L’Hospital’s rule, indeterminate forms, exponential and logarithmic limits
Continuity: Continuity of different functions and intermediate value theorem
Derivative: Existence, differentiability using graphs, first principle, operations, chain rule, higher order derivatives and their applications
- Integral Calculus:
Properties, substitution method, operations and by-parts rule in both definite and indefinite integrals, Leibniz’s rule and integral as a limit of sum in definite integral
Area of bounded region, graphs of curves/lines and area between those lines/curves
- Trigonometry: Trigonometric identities and ratios, relation between trigonometric functions, solution of trigonometric equations, solution of triangles, heights and distances, laws of sine and cosine, inverse trigonometric functions and continued product of trigonometric functions
- Complex Numbers: Euler and De Moivre’s formulae, modulus, operations and roots of unity
Quadratic equations: Roots and relation of roots with coefficients
- Matrices and Determinants: Operations, properties, transformations, types, inverse, adjoint and their applications
- 3D Geometry: Section formulae, direction ratios and direction cosines, equation of a line/plane, distance between lines/planes, angle between lines/planes, intersection of a line and a plane, angle between a line and a plane and intersecting planes
- Sequences and Series: Arithmetic and geometric progressions and the sum of special series
- Statistics: Methods and formulae to find mean, median and mode, variance and standard deviation formulae, property of variance
Probability: Probability distribution, binomial distribution, Bernoulli trial, conditional probability, Bayes’ theorem and complement probability
- Use the elimination technique to eliminate the wrong options and find the correct option(s).
- Use shortcut methods; for example, use graphs.
- Try substituting the options in the questions.
- The paper is of 3 hours duration.
- There are 90 questions—30 each in the Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics sections. Out of which only 75 needs to be done.
- 20 MCQs and 10 numerical questions in each section, out of 10 numerical question only 5 needs to be done.
- Total marks: 300, 4 for each question.
- For MCQs, 4 marks will be awarded for every correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- For numerical questions, 4 marks will be awarded for every correct answer; there is no negative marking.
- The paper will be in both Hindi and English.
- Analyse the paper and mark the questions which you can solve easily. Solve these questions first.
- Try to use the elimination technique in some of the questions. On an average, take 2–3 minutes for every question.
- Don’t waste much time on solving a single question, instead leave that question and try to solve it at the end.
- IIT Mathematics by R.D. Sharma
- Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight
- IIT-JEE Mathematics by S.K. Goyal
Solve previous years’ JEE Main papers to get an idea about the types of questions which can be asked. Also take mock tests and weekly tests. Try to solve each paper in a 3-hour duration as the time limit for JEE Main is 3 hours. Practise the common questions asked in the previous years’ papers. By keeping in mind and applying these simple tips, you can easily do well in Maths in the upcoming JEE Main 2021 paper.
Due to the current Coronavirus outbreak, the April JEE Main 2021 exam has been postponed until further notice. In this critical stage of preparation for the exams, you can study from our JEE Crash Course 2021. This package comprises of FRM (Final Revision Module) & the Test Series, where the questions are modelled along the JEE pattern, to build familiarity with the exam and to improve your chances to clear Mains. To learn more about this call on 1800-212-7858.
Also, learn better from our subject matter experts by watching TopperLearning Webinar on doubt clearing for exams. So go ahead and use this proven tool to crack IIT JEE 2021.
Stay indoors, stay alert!
You can also read:
MORE from Education
- Education Franchisee opportunity
- NCERT Solution
- CBSE Class 9 Mathematics
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Science
- Sample Papers
- CBSE Class 9 Science
- NCERT Solutions for class 10 Maths
- Revision Notes
- CBSE Class 10 Hindi
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 Social Studies
- CBSE Class 10 Science
- CBSE Class 10 Mathematics
- Career In Science After 10
- Career In Commerce After 10
- Career In Humanities/Arts After 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 10
- Ncert Solutions for Class 11
- Business Studies Class 12 CBSE project