why the given structure is called the 2-methyl pentane? explain
Asked by Hari Rajagopal Anayath | 13th Dec, 2013, 05:59: PM
- The longest chain of carbon atoms is five and it is in a straight chain.
- The parent alkane is pentane so the above chain is named as pentane.
- An alkyl group(CH3-) is present, so let us number the chain in such a way that the methyl group gets the lowest possible number.
- Here we number the chain from left to right, so the methyl group falls on carbon number 2.
- So if we join 2- methyl and pentane , the IUPAC name of the above hydrocarbon is 2- methylpentane.
Answered by Vaibhav Chavan | 13th Dec, 2013, 07:16: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number