why only metals get rusted
Asked by BANKER.ARVIND | 22nd May, 2016, 09:24: AM
- Rust mainly refers to ioxidation of iron in the presence water which is a very slow phenomenon.
- Rust is another name for iron oxide. It occurs when iron or an alloy containing iron, such as steel, is exposed to oxygen and moisture for a long period of time.
- Slowly, oxygen combines with the metal at an atomic level, forming a new compound called an oxide and weakening the bonds of the metal itself. Although some people refer to rust generally as "oxidation", that term is much more general; although rust forms when iron undergoes oxidation, not all oxidation forms rust.
- Only iron or alloys that contain iron can rust, but other metals can corrode in similar ways.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 22nd May, 2016, 12:21: PM
- Why does the Qutub minar not rusted stil
- what is the chemical equation of quick lime?
- Why do ship get damaged in spite of being painted?
- Write a word equation to represent the process of rusting of iron.Also write the chemical symbols and formulae of all the substances involved
- What is Redox reaction ?
- What is reduction ?
- What is oxydation ?
- (i) What kind of a change is rusting? (ii) Can damp air cause rusting?
- Name the process of depositing a layer of zinc on iron. Give two examples of objects on which zinc coating is done.
- Explain how galvanization of an iron object prevents it from rusting.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number