Why multi purpose projects and large dams have come under great scrutiny and opposition?
Asked by vatsalchoudhary41 | 6th Aug, 2015, 05:41: PM
Multipurpose projects and large dams have come under scrutiny because of the following reasons:
- Large dams affect the natural flow of rivers. This results in hampering the flow of sediments. Excessive accumulation of sediments in the reservoirs causes damage to the marine life.
- The dams on the flood plains submerge the vegetation and soil leading to its gradual decomposition.
- It further results in floods due to the deposition of sediments in the reservoirs.
- It causes destruction of the forest areas and the displacement of tribal and local communities.
- It also destroys the natural surroundings and biodiversity of an area.
Answered by Social Science Expert | 7th Aug, 2015, 08:02: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number