why is neutron so effective as a bombarding particle?
Asked by haider.samina | 7th Mar, 2015, 10:44: AM
A neutron carriers no charge. It easily penetrates even a heavy nucleus without being repelled or attracted by nucleus and electrons. So, it serves as an ideal projectile for starting a nuclear reaction.
Answered by Faiza Lambe | 7th Mar, 2015, 08:33: PM
- Binding energies of 8O16 and 17Cl35 are 127.35 MeV and 289.3 MeV respectively. Which of the two nuclei are more stable?
- What is Q- value of a nuclear reaction?
- A neutron is absorbed by a 3 L nucleus with subsequent emission of - particle Write the corresponding nuclear reaction. Calculate the energy released in this reaction. Given mass of 3 L = 6.015126 a.m.u. Mass of 2e = 4.000 26044 a.m.u. Mass of neutron = 1.0086654 a.m.u. Mass of tritium = 3.016049 a.m.u.
- Why is nuclear fusion not possible in laboratory?
- Express 16mg mass into equivalent energy in electron volt?
- Draw a curve between mass number and binding energy per nucleon. Give two salient features of the curve. Hence define binding energy?
- A nucleus undergoes β- decay and becomes , Calculate the maximum kinetic energy of electrons emitted assuming that the daughter nucleus and anti- neutrino carry negligible kinetic energy.
- Calculate the amount of energy released during the a decay of Atomic mass of = 238.05079 u Atomic mass of = 234.04363 u Atomic mass of = 4.00260 u 1u = 931.5 Me V/c2 Is this decay spontaneous? Give reason.
- State the reason, why heavy water is generally used as a moderator in a nuclear reactor.
- A heavy nucleus X of mass number 240 and binding energy per nucleon 7.6 MeV is split into two fragments Y and Z of mass numbers 110 and 130. The binding energy of nucleons in Y and Z is 8.5 MeV per nucleon. Calculate the energy Q released per fission in MeV.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number