Why do similar charges repel and opposite charges attract? Explain the concept using a suitable example.
Asked by sujaysarkar84 | 14th Apr, 2015, 07:55: AM
Take two glass rods rubbed with silk cloth. Suspend one glass rod using a silk thread on to a stand and bring the other glass rod near it. We see that both the glass rods repel each other. Both the glass rods are rubbed with same silk cloth, and hence have same charges on them. This shows that like charges repel each other.
Now, take two ebonite rods rubbed with fur. Suspend one ebonite rod using a silk thread on to a stand and bring the other rod near to it. We see that both the ebonite rods repel each other. Both the ebonite rods are rubbed with same fur, and hence have same charges on them. This also shows that like charges repel each other.
Now, a glass rod rubbed with silk is suspended with a silk thread on to a stand. Take an ebonite rod rubbed with fur near to the suspended glass rod. It is seen that both the rods attract each other. Since, both the rods are rubbed with different cloths and attract each other, different charges are developed on them. This shows that unlike charges attract each other.
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 15th Apr, 2015, 11:08: AM
- if we increase kinetic energy by 20%, then find percentage increase in linear momentum
- a bus of mass 10000kg with a velocity of 90 km/h. calculate work done to stop the bus
- define kinetic energy
- what is kinetic energy
- Hi, my name is Aprameya i had a doubt we know K.E.(Kinetic Energy) = (1/2)mv^2 the v over here is velocity but at what time. Velocity will be different at differnt points of time i mean at 1second it might be something and and at another second it might be something else. so while calculating which velocity do we use
- what is energy
- A ball of mass 0.25kg is thrown upwards with a velocity of 10m/s at what height it's kinetic energy become 10J
- The water stored in dam can be used to generate electricity.give reason
- What is work ?
- A truck of mass 5000kg travelling at 40m/s is brought to rest by applying breaks the truck comes to rest after travelling 20m after the application of break what is the kinetic energy of truck
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number