why do silver articles turn black when kept in open for a few days?
Asked by monicka.sagar | 21st Jul, 2019, 11:47: AM
Silver article turns black when kept in the air because silver reacts with sulphur compounds such as hydrogen sulphide (H2S) present in air and forms silver sulphide.
The phenomenon is called corrosion. For silver particularly, it is called tarnishing of silver.
Answered by Varsha | 21st Jul, 2019, 01:15: PM
- What is the name given for the substance that react and form in a chemical reaction
- Which out of burning of wax and melting of wax is a chemical change ? Give reason
- Is it necessary to state the temperature and colour of the reactants and products in every chemical reaction?
- why does colour of copper sulphate solution change when iron nail is dipped in it
- what is chemical reaction?
- How many types of chemical equation
- a shiny brown coloured element on heating in air becomes black in colour
- you have mixed the solution of lead(II) nitrate and potassium iodine. (i) What was the colour of the precipitate formed? can you name the compound precipitated? (i) Write the balance chemical equation for this reaction.
- What is thermite reaction
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number