Why are soldiers ordered to move out of step while crossing a bridge?
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
Every oscillator has its own frequency of oscillation. When frequency of external force becomes equal to natural frequency of oscillations, resonance takes place and amplitude of vibration becomes maximum. Bridge can be considered as stretched string. If soldiers march in steps and frequency of marching steps is the same as that of frequency of bridge, then bridge will be set into resonant vibrations and hence collapse. That is why soldiers are asked to break their steps.
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- What are coupled oscillations?
- Define the following : (i) damped oscillations (ii) maintained oscillations (iii) forced oscillations (iv) resonant or sympathetic vibrations.
- At a certain speed of a bus, the body of the bus starts vibrating strongly. Why?
- Why is loud sound heard at resonance?
- Glass window panes are some time broken by an explosion even taking place far away. Why?
- An aeroplane passing over the building sometime causes rattling of windows of the building. Explain why?
- How earthquakes some times cause disaster?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number