Which method we can apply to seperate water and mercury and why
Asked by Nimmi | 1st Jul, 2018, 10:19: PM
Removing mercury from the water can be achieved using four processes: Coagulation/Filtration, Granular Activated Carbon, Lime Softening, and Reverse Osmosis.
Mercury can be removed from water by using four processes:
1) Coagulation or filtration: In this method Al2(SO4)3 used to reacts with mercury to form solid which can precipitate out of the water by simple filtration.
2) Granular activated carbon: Granular activated carbon uses porous media, when water containing mercury is passed through this media it absorbed the dissolved contaminants and held on the solid surface.
3) Lime softening: In this method, Ca(OH)2 is added to the mixture, to raise the pH level and the heavy metals like mercury are precipitate out as Hg(OH)2. This method is cheaper than other method and reliable.
4) Reverse osmosis: In this method water is pushed through a semi-permeable membrane of a polyamide film, and all impurities are separated out. this method is fairly expensive.
Answered by Ramandeep | 2nd Jul, 2018, 10:01: AM
- What are the different kinds of filters used by people in everyday household works?
- How is centrifugation done? Describe the process of separation by centrifugation.
- Name the gas which is added during purification of water. Why is it called a disinfectant?
- Explain sedimentation and decantation method.
- Explain the process by which we can separate cream from milk?
- Which method will you use to separate the following mixtures? (i) Sand and water (ii) Clay and water (iii) Cream and milk (iv) Used tea leaves and prepared tea
- Describe the filtration tank used in the process of water purification in water works.
- What is the role of alum (Phitkari) in the process of water purification?
- List out the steps for folding of filter paper used for filtration. Describe the process of filtration.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number