when we do the electrolysis of NaCl then chlroine will formed into gaseous state and hence get removed from the solution the remain metal is Na(sodium) so my question is that sodium is a metal that burns in water so after this reaction why sodium is not burning even though it is in water?
Asked by krishdabhoya2003 | 19th Aug, 2018, 11:34: AM
There are two way we performed electrolysis of NaCl
1) Molten NaCl or Concentrated NaCl solution:
In the electrolysis the electrolyte is obtained by heating the solid form of NaCl, on the heating state of NaCl is changes from solid to liquid which is our electrolyte.
Hence there are only two ions are present in the solution i.e., Na+ and Cl-.
Hence at cathode:
Na+ + e- → Na
Cl- - e- → Cl
Cl + Cl → Cl2
2) Aqueous NaCl solution or brine solution:
The electrolyte is obtained by mixing water and NaCl salt. Hence there are four ions present i.e. Na+, Cl-, H+, OH-.
H+ + e- → H
H + H → H2
Cl- - e- → Cl
Cl + Cl → Cl2
Other remaining ions Na+ and OH- are combined to formed NaOH.
Hence if an aqueous solution of NaCl is electrolyzed it will never be discharged sodium metal at cathode instead that hydrogen gas is discharged there.
Because Hydrogen is lower in the electrochemical series than sodium, hence it will discharge more easily at the cathode.
Answered by Ramandeep | 20th Aug, 2018, 12:55: PM
- Why electrolysis of water is important?
- what is redox
- Assertion- Silver articles become coated with a black layer upon exposure to air. Resaon- A layer of oxide gets deposited upon oxidation with air. A- Assertion and Reason both are correct and reason is the correct explanation of assertion. B- Assertion and Reason both are correct and reason is not the correct explanation of assertion. C- Assertion is true but reason is false. D- Reason is true but assertion is false Please provide an explanation too. Asked by vandanawasan02 | 13th Feb, 2020, 09:24: AM Expert Answer: Aseertion and reason both are correct and reason is correct explanation of assertion. When silver is exposed to air, it becomes black due to oxide coating, although silver is not very reactive metal but with passage of time, it slowly reacts with oxygen in the air and forms black coloures silver oxide. Follow up question- Silver forms sulphide layer upon oxidation. I am confused between B and C. A option is definitely wrong.
- Reaction of MnO2 and Dil.HCl
- Why is galvanised article protected against rusting even when the zinc coating is broken
- Name the reducing agent oxidizing agent and the substance oxidized and reduced in the following reaction with reason: NH3 + O2 gives NO + H2O
- Why we can not separate Hydrogen and Oxygen from water?
- The galvanized article is protected against rusting even if the zinc coating is broken. Why?
- Rusting of iron mail is ..........reaction
- Why only nitrogen gas is used for packaging of chips? How does it prevent food from rancidity??
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number