when linear momentum is zero, then kinetic energy is not zero.Why?
Asked by svmic.dbr | 7th Oct, 2014, 06:54: PM
When we consider the momentum and kinetic energy for a single particle:
But when we consider the motion a body made up of number of particles, the kinetic energy won’t be zero even when the linear momentum is zero.Because there will be an internal energy in the body due to the thermal agitation of the particles of the body, while the vector sum of the momenta of the moving particles may be zero.i.e. individual atoms can have kinetic energy (thermal motion) even though the whole object has zero momentum
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 8th Oct, 2014, 10:42: AM
- plz elaborate by figure and step by step 1 no. ka question
- What are conservative and non-conservative forces. Give one example of each force.
- Why a coolie does no work when he moves on a level road while carrying a box on his head?
- Write four properties of conservative forces.
- Explain that gravitational force is a conservative force.
- Calculate the velocity of the bob of simple pendulum at its mean position if it is able to rise to vertical height of 20 cm. Take g = 9.8 m/s2.
- Find the maximum compression in a spring of spring constant 800 N/m, if it is hit by a ball of 0.5 kg released from the height of 10 m. The ball initially followed a curved path and then move horizontally on a frictionless surface to meet the target.
- A ball at rest is dropped from a height of 10 m. It loses 25% of its kinetic energy in striking the ground. Find the height to which it bounces. Give the reason of loss of kinetic energy.
- A ball of mass 0.1 kg is thrown vertically up with a velocity of 10 m/s. At what height, will its kinetic energy be half its original value?
- 250 joules were spent in lifting a 10 kg weight to a height of 2 m. Calculate the acceleration with which it was raised. (Take g = 10 m/s2)
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number