what is the use of magnetic field in cyclotron???????????????????explain...please@@@@@@@@@@
Asked by Samson Shaji Varghese | 11th Jul, 2014, 05:50: PM
Cyclotron is a particle accelerator. It is used to accelerate charged particles to high velocities by making them to pass repeatedly through the same accelerating region.
In a cyclotron charged particles are accelerated to very high energy using comparatively small electric field, by making the charged particle to cross the electric field again and again using a strong magnetic field.
A cyclotron consist of two semicircular boxes D 1 and D 2 called dees enclosed in a chamber kept between the poles of a powerful electromagnet, so that a uniform magnetic field acts perpendicular to the plane of the dees. An alternating voltage is produced in the gap between the dees by using a high frequency oscillator.
The ions inside a cyclotron are subjected to a uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the velocity of the ions. The magnetic Lorentz force acting on the ions keep them in circular orbits in two evacuated hollow semicircular dees. The radius of the orbit increases as the ions are accelerated by the potential difference between the dees which reverses at the orbital frequency of the ions.
Hence we can say that in a cyclotron the magnetic field is used to make the charged particle move in circular orbit repeatedly.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 14th Jul, 2014, 10:21: AM
- An electron moves in a circular orbit of radius 0.51A around a nucleus at a frequency of 6.8times10^(15)Hz .Estimate the magnetic field at the nucleus
- how are the magnetic field lines different from the electrostatic field lines.
- Why cyclotron can not be used to accelerate neutron?
- Why cyclotron is not suitable for accelerating electrons?
- Write any two uses of cyclotron.
- Why the set up of cyclotron is placed in an evacuated chamber?
- An electron beam was deflected in a given field which was perpendicular to the beam. The beam follows a parabolic path after deflection. Give answer whether the field was electric field or magnetic field.
- What will be the force on a charged particle moving in a region where uniform electric as well as magnetic field are acting?
- What do you mean by cyclotron frequency?
- Derive an expression for maximum energy gained by the positive ion using a cyclotron.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number