What is the real meaning of phase. I had a problem while deriving phase relationship between e.m.f and current. Please tell me practical meaning of phase with an easy example.
I will be highly obliged.
Asked by shaktiisgreat000 | 5th Sep, 2014, 05:15: PM
We know that an alternating emf can be represented by where E is the instantaneous value, E0 is the peak value and ωt is the phase angle.The variation of emf is sinusoidal.
Phase of an oscillating particle tells us about the position of the particle from the equilibrium position at any instant. Phase of an alternating current or voltage gives the fraction of the time period that has elapsed(ωt =2πt/ T) since ac or voltage last passed its zero value in the positive direction.
1.Consider the following figure. It shows two waves which are in the same phase. Two waves are in same phase means that they both are zero at the same instant and both pass through their maximum value at the same instant. and always have similar time reletionships.
In the above figure one wave form represent an alternating emf and other represents an alternating current. Both waves are in the same phase . Hence we can say that emf is in phase with the current.
2. Consider the following figure showing two waves that are out of phase.
Here the two waves are 90° out of phase. i.e. the two sinusoidal waves forms differ in phase by 90°(π/2). The voltage curve reaches zero at an instant when the current curve pass through maximum value.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 8th Sep, 2014, 10:35: AM
- What is difference between ac and dc
- What is a phasor diagram?
- Draw the phasor diagrams for a.c circuit with resistor, inductor and capacitor
- What are hot wire instruments?
- What is the r.m.s. voltage when the peak voltage of an a.c. supply is 350 V?
- An electrical appliance of 120 Ω is connected to 220 V, 50 cycles a.c.? Calculate the average potential difference?
- What will be the reading of an ammeter for an a.c. with peak value of 6 A?
- What will be the reading of an ammeter for a moving coil ammeter with peak value of 6 A?
- Find the virtual current given the r.m.s voltage is 220 V for 100 Ω resistance?
- What is the power of an electric kettle of 175 Ω when connected to 220 V and 50 Hz power supply?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number