what is the advantagce through for organisms that reproduce through spore formation?
Asked by | 26th Feb, 2013, 08:01: AM
- All fungi reproduce through a reproductive seed known as a spore. A spore contains genetic material of the parent fungi and reproduces a new fungi when certain conditions are met.
- The organism does not require another organism's gametes to create a new life form.
- Spores are encased in a proteinlike shell. This shell protects the genetic material in the spore from the environment. This is helpful since the elements, such as wind or water, tend to transport spores across large geographic regions when they drop from fungi.
- The spore shell has cells that sense the environment and when ideal conditions are sensed, the shell will dissolve.
- One fungus can produce an unlimited amount of spores throughout its lifetime giving it unlimited reproduction potential. This gives one individual fungus an incredible advantage in reproducing.
Answered by | 28th Feb, 2013, 12:38: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number