What is Tangent Galvanometer? Explain briefly.
What are the possible conceptual questions from the chapter Magnetism & Matter?
Asked by debjyotisaha98 | 22nd Aug, 2015, 12:11: PM
Tangent galvanometer is an instrument for measuring small electric currents. With it one can measure the horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field also. It consists of a coil of insulated copper wire wound on a circular non-magnetic frame. Its working is based on the principle of the tangent law of magnetism B = Bh tanθ.
When a current is passed through the circular coil, a magnetic field (B) is produced at the centre of the coil in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The TG is arranged in such a way that the horizontal component of Earth’s magnetic field (Bh) is in the direction of the plane of the coil.
The magnetic needle is then under the action of two mutually perpendicular fields. If θ is the deflection of the needle, then according to tangent law, we get
This is how, one can measure the horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field.
NOTE: Kindly post the other question as a separate query.
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 22nd Aug, 2015, 08:15: PM
- what is geometric meridian and magnetic meridian?
- Hi tell which option.only one option per question can be correct not two.
- What is the dimensional formula for permeability
- THE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD AT THE EQUATOR IS APPOROXIMATELY 0.4G. ESTIMATE THE EARTH'S DIPOLE.
- What is the c.g.s unit of magnetic induction and magnetic intensity?
- Discuss briefly the characteristic of diamagnetic, paramagnetic and ferromagnetic materials. Also, give some examples of the three magnetic materials.
- What is Curie Temperature?
- What is Hysteresis Loop? What is its significance?
- A magnetic needle with magnetic moment 3.8 X 10-2 JT-1 is placed at 30o with the uniform magnetic field. Suppose a torque of 6.8 X 10-4 J acts on it, then, find the magnetic field.
- Suppose we have a magnetic needle of length 2l with magnetic moment ‘M’ and pole strength ‘m’. We divide it into two pieces from the middle. What will be the magnetic moment and pole strength of the resultant pieces?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number