what is Reflex action ?
Asked by singhabbi8 | 19th Sep, 2014, 10:42: AM
Reflex action is an automatic, quick and involuntary action in the body brought about by a stimulus.
Characteristics of reflex actions:
1. Rapid automatic responses to a stimulus without the conscious involvement of the brain
2. Controlled by spinal cord
3. Very quick and instantaneous
4. May involve any muscle or a gland
5. Can be conditioned
Some examples of reflex actions:
1. Shivering when it is too cold or sweating when it is too hot.
2. Non-stop beating of the heart.
3. Instant withdrawal of the hand when it accidently touches a hot iron.
4. Dilation of the pupil in eyes when looking in the dark.
Answered by Sheetal Kolte | 19th Sep, 2014, 12:26: PM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number