what is octrahedral voids? explian in brief.
Asked by Shubham | 8th Sep, 2015, 05:59: PM
In the same packing one half of the triangular voids in the first layer are occupied by spheres in the second layer while the other half remains unoccupied. The triangular voids ‘b’ in the first layer is overlapped by the triangular voids in the second layer. The interstitial void, formed by combination of two triangular voids of the first and second layer is called octahedral void because this is enclosed between six spheres centres of which occupy corners of a regular octahedron.
In octahedral Voids----In close packing, the number of octahedral voids is equal to the number of spheres. Thus, there is only one octahedral void associated with each sphere. Radius of the octahedral void in relation to the radius of the sphere is 0.414.
Answered by Vaibhav Chavan | 8th Sep, 2015, 06:38: PM
- What is the formula of a compound in which the element Y forms hcp lattice and atoms of X occupy 2/3rdof tetrahedral voids
- what is the lattice parameter of GaAs? radius of Ga=122 pm, As=125 pm
- an fcc lattice has lattice parameters a=400 pm . calculate the molar volume of the lattice including all the empty space
- each edge of a cubic unit cell is 400 pm long. if atomic weight of the element is 120 and its density is 6.25 g/cm3. The crystal lattice is : a) simple cubic b)BCC c) FCC c) NONE
- What is a unit cell? Explain bravais lattices
- What is the formula of a compound in which the element Y forms hcp lattice and atoms of X occupy 2/3rd of tetrahedral voids
- CBSEXII| CHEMISTRYMOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONSwww.topperlearning.com2CBSEClass XII ChemistryMost Important QuestionsChapter 1: The Solid State1.What is the formula of a compound in which the element Y forms hcp lattice and atoms of X occupy 2/3rdof tetrahedral voids?[1M]2.Givean example each of a molecular solid and an ionic solid.[1M]3.An element with density 2.8gcm-3forms a fccunit cellwith edgelength 4 × l0-8cm. Calculate the molar mass of the element.[2M](Given: NA=6.022 × 1023mol-1)4.[2M](i)What type of non-stoichiometric point defect is responsible for the pink colour of LiCl?(ii)What type of stoichiometric defect is shown by NaCl? 5.How will you distinguish between the following pairs of terms?[2M](i)Tetrahedral and octahedral voids(ii)Crystal lattice and unit cell 6.Tungsten crystallizes in body centred cubic unit cell. If the edge of the unit cell is 315.5pm, what is the radius of tungsten atom? [3M]7.Iron has a body centred cubic unit cell with a cell dimension of 286.65 pm,the density of iron is 7.874 gcm-3. Use this information to calculate Avogadro's number. (At.Mass of Fe = 55.845 μ).[3M]8.An element with density 10 gcm−3forms a cubic unit cell with edge length of 3 × 10−8cm. What is the nature of the cubic unit cell if the atomic mass of the element is 81 gmol−1? [3M] CBSEXII| CHEMISTRYMOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONSwww.topperlearning.com39.(a)An element has a body centered cubic structure with a cell edge of 288 pm. Thedensity of the elements is 7.2 gcm-3. Calculate the number of atoms present is 208 g of the element.[3M](b) With example explain difference between crystalline and amorphous solids. [2M]Chapter 2: Solutions1.A 1.00 molal aqueous solution of trichloroacetic acid (CCl3COOH) is heated to its boiling point. The solution has the boiling
- An element X' (At. mass a 40 g mol-1) having f.c.c. structure, has unit cell edge length of 400 pm. Calculate the density of ‘X’ and the number of unit cells in 4 g of ‘X’. (NA = 6.022 x 1023 mol-1)
- What is the volume occupied in body centered cube.
- Which is the least preferred type of close packing in crystals?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number